The Green Bay Mission Hall [Note, first published in the society newsletter December 2017] Green Bay Interdenominational Mission ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO It does not occur very often that we can celebrate a centenary here in the Bay. Green Bay Mission building in 2018 Green Bay Mission Hall building, now part of The Blockhouse Bay Baptist Church 2018 - (Photo courtesy Google Earth) This year on 1st December 2017 marks the foundation stone laying ceremony for the Green Bay Interdenominational Mission one hundred years ago, with the church being officially opened at the end of 1918.
The Kosy Theatre — a night out at the pictures The Blockhouse Bay Picture Theatre was built in 1925 on the site of the present Foodtown carpark. Ola Guttermorson acted as projectionist for the silent movies, while sisters Annie collected tickets at the door and Helga belted out the accompanying music on the theatre’s piano. The films were displayed on the white painted back wall of the theatre, and might be the latest epic or Charlie Chaplin’s latest farce.