The Blockhouse Bay Grocery and Tearooms Alfred (Fred) and Margarette (Daisy) Thom lived in Folke Street, New Lynn, with their family and Daisy’s widowed mother. The children attended New Lynn Primary School and the whole family participated in the New Lynn community life, with Fred serving on the New Lynn Town Board. However, they spent every free minute over at Blockhouse Bay, fishing, swimming, picnicking and camping in the summer holidays and on long weekends when the weather permitted.
The Dunny at Armanasco House Armanasco House Dunny Photo of the dunny at Armanasco House When Stephano built in 1890, no pioneer house was complete without its little outhouse out the back. At that time they would have had a long drop, but later the night cart man called around the Bay in the night hours to empty the can. Keith has built a kauri board and battern thunderbox/dunny/privy/long drop, call it what you will, complete with the standard interior furnishings of kerosene lamp hanging on a nail, a coat hook, the bottle of Jeyes Fluid and, of course, the Weekly News neatly cut into squares and hanging on the wall.
The first shop The very first shop in the district opened, not in the “Mainstreet”, but at the foot of Endeavour Street in 1912. In those days the street was completely undeveloped and was just a track winding down through the scrub to the beach. The creek at the bottom, where the pumping station used to stand, was then crossed by a log in place of a bridge. The log was later replaced with a black plank bridge.
The Green Bay Mission Hall [Note, first published in the society newsletter December 2017] Green Bay Interdenominational Mission ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO It does not occur very often that we can celebrate a centenary here in the Bay. Green Bay Mission building in 2018 Green Bay Mission Hall building, now part of The Blockhouse Bay Baptist Church 2018 - (Photo courtesy Google Earth) This year on 1st December 2017 marks the foundation stone laying ceremony for the Green Bay Interdenominational Mission one hundred years ago, with the church being officially opened at the end of 1918.
The Kosy Theatre — a night out at the pictures The Blockhouse Bay Picture Theatre was built in 1925 on the site of the present Foodtown carpark. Ola Guttermorson acted as projectionist for the silent movies, while sisters Annie collected tickets at the door and Helga belted out the accompanying music on the theatre’s piano. The films were displayed on the white painted back wall of the theatre, and might be the latest epic or Charlie Chaplin’s latest farce.