The story behind Craigavon Park and its connection with a founder of a famous Auckland department store. Craigavon Park is a recreational area in Blockhouse Bay and bordering Green Bay, Auckland. This park with its bush setting with walking tracks, playing areas and children’s playground offers residents of the surrounding area the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors without having to venture far from the Blockhouse Bay main street and shopping area.
Kauri tree Written and researched by Keith Rusden As far as can be ascertained, the Blockhouse Bay area can boast only one veteran kauri tree. This tree sits precariously on the cliff edge, exposed to the prevailing wind and weather and all the elements. At my request, Bruce Edwards, the Auckland City arborist, viewed this tree on 17 June 2004 to give an estimate of its age (before this he had been unaware of its existence).
Notes on some features of the Manukau coastline, from Green Bay to Onehunga A.W.Glen, November 2006 Green Bay Green Bay is at the western end of the Blockhouse Bay Historical Society’s bailiwick. The bay is a small indentation in the coastline on the inner channel. This bay was the southern exit of the old Maori portage from the Waitemata to the Manukau, via the Whau River. The route was a direct path from the Kaipara Harbour through the portage to the Waitemata, and then inshore to the entrance to the Whau river between the Te Atatu and Rosebank Peninsulas.
Historic trees in the City Council District Plan, August 2004 There are three categories in the plan: a historical / cultural value b botanic value c visual amenity value The trees Category Location Pohutukawa b, c 186 Blockhouse Bay Road Pines (20) c 572–576 Blockhouse Bay Road Puriri b, c 615 Blockhouse Bay Road Pohutukawa (2) b, c 43 Puketea Street Pohutukawa, Southern Red Oak b, c 75–81 Taunton Terrace Stand of native trees: totara, rimu, kahikatea, kauri, tanekaha, kahikatea, kauri, tanekaha, kawaka, puriri, kohekohe, etc.
Blockhouse Bay WW1 Honours Board 1914 - 1918 Those who died Surname Given name Rank Service # Regiment Died Where buried or remembered Abel Arthur Howard 2nd Lieutenant 22159 2nd Batt, Auck. Inf. Reg. 1/9/1918 Bancourt British Cemetery, France Catton Charles William Private 12/4152 2nd N.Z. M. Gun Coy 15/9/1916 Caterpillar Valley N.Z. Memorial, Somme, France Catton John Private 12/4153 Auk. Inf. Batt. 21/9/1916 Caterpillar Valley N.Z. Memorial, Somme, France Flaxman Reuben Private 21244 2nd Bat, Auck.
Peter Bainbridge Motors & The Block Cafe 568-570 Blockhouse Bay Road Aerial veiw of The Block Cafe Aerial veiw of The Block Cafe The Block Café in July 2018 with Peter Bainbridge Motors workshop and parking area behind. Photo NZ Herald Motor mechanic Peter Bainbridge has had a long association with the Bay, and in his years in business has a gained a reputation of giving great service to the local motorists.
Quarantine station at Blockhouse Point Researched by Bill Glen In the early 1860s the Government was concerned that, although immigrants were checked before boarding ship for New Zealand, some passengers took ill on the voyage. There was a risk of contagious diseases entering the country, putting the public at risk. On 12 January 1864 at Government House in Auckland, quarantine regulations were signed into law by Governor George Grey. These regulations required quarantine stations to be set up at main ports, and described the actions to be taken by ships’ masters, harbour boards and provincial governments, to protect the country from introduced diseases.
Sandy Bay Almost at the beach end of Blockhouse Bay Road, just on the edge of the beach Reserve, is the pathway to Sandy Bay. There is no car access which adds to the charm of this beautiful little bay. The path cuts back and down on an angle from the main road, bounded on the road side by a stone wall, ending in a stone seat. This was once keenly sought after by courting couples.
South Whau blockhouse 19th century newspapers are an excellent source for stories on our area and also the early settlers. Weekly News, 17 February 1883 South Whau blockhouse derelict At present South Whau looks, as many of our townships have done, an expanse of fern. The Blockhouse, a relic of the Waikato war of 1863, stands in ruins on the crest of the hill (with its loop-holed embrasures and half-filled trenches), dominating the country for miles around, and at the time of our visit the other day, only the haunt of nomadic gum diggers, who prowl over the adjacent Crown lands for gum.
Te Ara o Tiriwa / Gittos Domain Path An interesting walk from Blockhouse Bay village through peaceful Gittos Domain. Start behind the Blockhouse Bay Library. The Blockhouse Bay area was historically serviced by a mobile library. After repeated requests including a ‘sit in’ protest at a council meeting, locals were successful and their library was opened in 1995. Follow the path to historic Armanasco House - a kauri farmhouse built in 1890 that’s one of the earliest houses in Blockhouse Bay.