Blog

Four Square Store

Blockhouse Bay Grocery and General Store opened c.1917 Talk by Frances Winchcombe Booker, 1 December 2004 Introduction: From 1917 to 1922 the Store was owned by Percy Fowler, followed by L. & W. Wood; then in 1924 Mr Simons, followed by Mr Walters; 1927 to 1938 it was owned by the McMurray family; and 1943 to 1952 by W. G. Winchcombe & Co. In 1938 McMurray built and moved into a brand new brick building on the corner of Blockhouse Bay Road and Kinross Street, which consisted of a huge storage basement, a very large shop with living accommodation at the rear, and five bedrooms and bathroom upstairs.

Continue reading

The Whau Blockhouse

The Whau Blockhouse (Adapted from a talk given by Keith Rusden (Blockhouse Bay Historical Society), at the Blockhouse Bay Library during Heritage Week, on 7 September 2004.) The building which eventually gave our marine suburb its name was constructed in 1860. At this time the Land War in Taranaki was escalating and there were fears it would spread north and so a defence system for Auckland was actioned. Colonel Thomas Mould of the Royal Engineers was charged with planning the location and type of defence system needed.

Continue reading

Pine Ridge — the story of an old house

Pine Ridge — the story of an old house The story of an old house, presented to the meeting of Blockhouse Bay Historical Group on Wednesday, 4 August 2004, by Eileen (Eades) Rusden We have been extremely fortunate to trace the history of a house and the families which lived in it, from 1888 to the present day. As to be expected, it has sustained extensive structural alterations in the course of over 100 years, as it was altered to sustain the lifestyles of the families.

Continue reading

Historic trees

Historic trees in the City Council District Plan, August 2004 There are three categories in the plan: a historical / cultural value b botanic value c visual amenity value The trees Category Location Pohutukawa b, c 186 Blockhouse Bay Road Pines (20) c 572–576 Blockhouse Bay Road Puriri b, c 615 Blockhouse Bay Road Pohutukawa (2) b, c 43 Puketea Street Pohutukawa, Southern Red Oak b, c 75–81 Taunton Terrace Stand of native trees: totara, rimu, kahikatea, kauri, tanekaha, kahikatea, kauri, tanekaha, kawaka, puriri, kohekohe, etc.

Continue reading

26 Endeavour Street

Another piece of our history disappears – 26 Endeavour Street This cottage stood on the corner of Gilfillan Street and Endeavour Street. 26 Endeavour Street cottage Ten acres ran down from the corner of Gilfillan Street down Endeavour Street to Kinross Street in 1871 bought by land speculator Stephen Norris and sold on same day to George Foster, a ‘dealer’, who in 1881 sold the land to Margaret Johnson. On 23 March 1886 Edward Brechon, of Onehunga, purchased the land and being a carpenter we have to assume he built the cottage.

Continue reading

Armanasco House

Armanasco House — the historic home on the Village Green The historic house on the Village Green was built by Stefano and Maria Armanasco, early settlers in Blockhouse Bay. The house was built circa 1890 on their farm facing onto Wynyard Road (now Blockhouse Bay Road), just down from the Medical Centre at 497 Blockhouse Bay Road. Photo of the original home without its verandah The Armanasco family outside the front of the house on its original site on Wynyard Road, before the verandah was added

Continue reading

Auckland City Heritage Listings

Auckland City Heritage Listings The following places have been given Heritage Listing under the Auckland City District Plan, Isthmus section. Green Bay Mission Hall (1970 Baptist Church). Blockhouse Bay beach sea wall. Paice House, built 1889. 75 Endeavour Stret (access from the beach) but now access from 11b Taunton Terrace.

Continue reading

Blockhouse Bay Basketball

in Clubs

Blockhouse Bay Basketball – 1920s style In the early 1920s, the young women living in or near Blockhouse Bay, formed themselves into a basketball team. In those days each team had nine players, and the game was played on a court divided equally into three sections. Three of the team were defenders and stayed in one of the end thirds of the court. Three were designated centres and stayed in the centre section, and the final three girls were goalies and stayed in the other end of the court.

Continue reading

Blockhouse Bay WW1 Honours Board 1914 - 1918

Blockhouse Bay WW1 Honours Board 1914 - 1918 Those who died Surname Given name Rank Service # Regiment Died Where buried or remembered Abel Arthur Howard 2nd Lieutenant 22159 2nd Batt, Auck. Inf. Reg. 1/9/1918 Bancourt British Cemetery, France Catton Charles William Private 12/4152 2nd N.Z. M. Gun Coy 15/9/1916 Caterpillar Valley N.Z. Memorial, Somme, France Catton John Private 12/4153 Auk. Inf. Batt. 21/9/1916 Caterpillar Valley N.Z. Memorial, Somme, France Flaxman Reuben Private 21244 2nd Bat, Auck.

Continue reading

Camping at the Bay

in Places

Camping at the Bay Around the beginning of the 20th century, families began making the arduous journey over unformed roads, to camp at Blockhouse Bay beach reserve. They camped at both Blockhouse Bay and Sandy Bay and many came back year after year to the same site, where they had built a fireplace and dug ditches for drainage. There was a real community spirit among the campers, and when fishermen returned with large catches, the extra was shared so that all the families had some.

Continue reading